Thousands of people marched in two San Diego demonstrations Saturday against the Trump administration’s zero-tolerance immigration policy.
At least 5,000 people gathered in downtown San Diego to protest separating migrant children from their parents at the border.
The rally started at Civic Center Plaza at 10 a.m. and the group marched to the ICE regional field office on Front Street.
The organizers, Families Belong Together, said they are also protesting the condition the children are being kept in and the emotional trauma suffered by their separation.
“It’s just an injustice,” Daniel Rodriguez said. “I’m mad about it but the good thing is that privilege to have citizenship so I can speak out for my brothers and sisters that don’t have citizenship.”
Another group marched to the Otay Mesa Detention Center on Saturday afternoon.
More than 2,300 children have been taken from their parents while crossing the border illegally or seeking asylum since the Trump administration began their zero-tolerance border crossing policy six weeks ago.
Following a bipartisan backlash, the president signed an executive order last week to end family separation and hold families in detention together, but it is unclear how the thousands of children who have already been separated from their parents will be reunited.
“The executive order while not separating does nothing to address the 2300 children that have already been separated,” Terri Leyton said. “We don’t even know where their parents are and how they’re going to put them back together and reunite these families.”
Photo Credit: NBC 7
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.
Source: NBC San Diego